- Explain and apply the concepts of centripetal acceleration and centripetal force as applied to uniform horizontal circular motion and vertical circular motion, including applying the relationships:
- When an object moves around a central point
- Constant speed and radius
- Velocity constantly changes as direction constantly changes
- Change in v = acceleration towards centre
- Is the force directed towards the centre of rotation
- It keeps the object spinning around the centre rather than flying off
Centrifugal force is the apparent outwards force that an object feels as it travels in a circular motion. This is not an actual force, but is caused by inertia opposing the centripetal force.