- Allow vehicles to go around a circuit faster than unbanked curves
- Reduces the reliance on tyre friction, since gravity provides some of that force
- Sum of forces is equal to the centripetal force
- At the design speed, the centripetal force is entirely made up of the normal reaction and the weight force
- At the design speed, the bank angle is optimal.
- Frictional forces are not applied
Effect of Friction
If v < v optimal, then the friction force works parallel to and up the slope to prevent the car from slipping
To quantify the effects of friction, you need to calculate the x and y components of the frictional force.
Vertical Motion: there is no vertical acceleration
Optimum design angle: