- Frames the action
- Main settings:
- Night v. day
- Venice v. Cyprus
- Public v. private
Venice and Europe is ‘civilised’, everything else is not.
- Outside of the boundaries of ‘civilisation’, anything goes. The codes and practices of the natives are termed barbaric or uncivilised, and thus can be disregarded
- In ‘civilised’ places like Australia, there is an established order and structured society
- But once people leave ‘civilisation’ for ‘uncivilised’ places such as Bali, the expectations change.
- There is no ‘civilised’ order, so people see fit to do whatever they want
- Outside of Venice/Europe, i.e. Cyprus, anything goes.